Home » English » Bicerin della Venaria history

Bicerin della Venaria history

The café was established two centuries ago as a shop, in the style of the eighteenth century – a period of great ostentation and wealth for the House of Savoy, which commissioned the hunting lodge from architect Amedeo di Castellamonte.

Our history can be traced back to the second half of the nineteenth century, when we were granted Licence Number One for the sale of Salt and Tobacco by the Royal Podesta.

The premises stand in the heart of the old town of Venaria Reale, the antechamber to the magnificent palace built by Charles Emmanuel II, Duke of Savoy, in 1659, which was already recognised as a rapidly growing economic centre.

The role of bar and café was not added until the second half of the twentieth century, in keeping with the new habits of the post-war period. Today we strive to recreate the recipes in vogue at the height of the palace’s splendour. We have thus revived the caffè del duca re and the Merenda sinoira, specialities dating from the eighteenth century enjoyed by aristocrats during their leisure time spent in the royal hunting reserve.

10/23/2009 commenti (0)

Racconto di storia e cultura

Visita virtuale